Homemade Pizza vs. Store-Bought Pizza: RECIPE
Here is a recipe for homemade pizza as well as a suggestion for customizing store-bought pizza.
Homemade Pizza Recipe:
- 1 and 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 and 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Pizza sauce
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Toppings of your choice (e.g. pepperoni, mushrooms, onions, peppers, etc.)
- In a large bowl, combine warm water, instant yeast, honey, and olive oil. Let it sit for about 5 minutes, or until the yeast is foamy.
- Add 4 cups of all-purpose flour and 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of salt to the bowl, and mix with a wooden spoon until the dough comes together.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 5-10 minutes, or until it is smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a towel, and let it rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, or until it has doubled in size.
- Preheat your oven to 450°F (232°C). Roll out the dough to your desired thickness and shape, and place it on a pizza stone or baking sheet.
- Spread pizza sauce over the dough, leaving a small border around the edges. Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese over the sauce, and add your desired toppings.
- Bake the pizza for 12-15 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Store-Bought Pizza Customization:
- Store-bought frozen or fresh pizza
- Additional toppings of your choice (e.g. spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, artichokes, etc.)
- Preheat your oven according to the pizza package instructions.
- Take the pizza out of the packaging and place it on a baking sheet.
- Add your desired toppings on top of the pizza, either before or after baking according to the cooking instructions.
- Bake the pizza according to the package instructions, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Slice and serve hot. Enjoy!
DIY Pizza Oven Instructions
DIY pizza ovens are fun and rewarding. With a few simple supplies and equipment, you can build a backyard pizza oven that makes delicious, homemade pizza. Creating a homemade pizza oven requires the following steps:
Your destination: Place the shed on a level, flat area of your garden. Choose a site away from buildings, trees, and other fire hazards.
Gather supplies: These parts are needed to build a pizza oven:
Firebrick/mortar insulation (optional).
Metal stand requires assembling.
Build the oven base: Lay the first layer of bricks on the ground. Level the blocks. After laying the foundation, erect the oven walls.
Firebrick the oven walls. Stacking bricks in a circle with a ventilation hole at the top creates a dome-shaped oven.
Insulate the oven (optional) to keep heat in. Use sand and cement or pizza oven insulation.
Add a metal platform to the base of the pizza oven to make it simpler to transport.
Let the oven dry for 24 hours before igniting a fire. This lets cement and mortar solidify.
After the oven is dry, kindle a fire inside. Start with tiny wood and add bigger pieces as the fire builds. Before preparing your first pizza, heat the oven for an hour.
With these methods, you can build a backyard pizza oven and enjoy homemade pizza.
15 Unique Homemade Pizza Toppings to Try
Try these 15 original homemade pizza toppings:
- Caramelized onions and figs with goat cheese
- Pesto sauce with sliced tomatoes and fresh mozzarella
- Grilled chicken, bacon, and ranch dressing
- Roasted red peppers, black olives, and feta cheese
- Sausage, mushrooms, and onions with fontina cheese
- Roasted garlic, artichoke hearts, and parmesan cheese
- BBQ sauce, pulled pork, and caramelized onions
- Buffalo chicken with blue cheese and celery
- Sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, and ricotta cheese
- Grilled zucchini, eggplant, and peppers with goat cheese
- Pineapple, ham, and jalapeños with mozzarella cheese
- Caramelized pears, prosciutto, and gorgonzola cheese
- Corn, black beans, and cilantro with cheddar cheese
- Smoked salmon, cream cheese, and capers
- Butternut squash, caramelized onions, and sage with fontina cheese.